Welcome!

Welcome to my Travel Blog where you can follow me Round The World!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day10. WOMADelaide

I had a leisurely morning yesterday before my afternoon flight to Adelaide. (I did hear from my nephew again yesterday, and they are fine....experiencing some rolling blackouts). He provided this link to a video about a teacher at his son's school. Not sure how to make a link, so you may have to cut and paste http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/24493493

The checkin at the airport was amazingly fast as you do everything yourself including tagging your bag, weighing it and sending it on the belt. Although no one at any point ever looked at my ID?

Upon arrival, I was a little anxious about my hotel. I had trouble getting a room here and so had settled for my 5th or 6th choice, which is the Adabco Boutique Hotel, and it sounded a bit more like a hostel. (not all rooms have private baths) But it is brand new, and my room is very nice (and with en suite bath, as promised). It seems to be a new concept (although maybe not in australia?), as it has a community kitchen and lounge area as well as laundry room. Actually quite ideal for me.


As the gates opened at 6:00 for the evening portion of the festival, I didn't have much time, so dropped my bags and walked over to the Botanic Garden to check in for my tickets.

The festival is awesome. I arrived just in time for the parade, which featured a few large stick puppets, and then just anyone who wanted to join in .... Very "New Orleans" like.



Then enjoyed the Maori dancers from New Zealand...



the harpist, from good ol' USA, Joanna Newsome...



then capped off the evening with the band, Sidestepper, from Colombia...they rocked the garden with a unique Latin sound....noone sat down through their entire performance...



(difficult to take a good picture when you, and everyone around you, are dancing). There was another round of performers after that, but my time clock was quite confused, and I felt I did pretty good making it that far. Besides, there is another full day and night of the festival to go.....

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Adelaide, Australia

2 comments:

  1. Looks like great fun!!! enjoy the next few days mk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the Festival looked fabulous. I don't know how you stayed so up with all the time changes, etc. You know me - I would have been asleep on arrival. Ha, Ha Enjoy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete