Welcome!

Welcome to my Travel Blog where you can follow me Round The World!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 34. Sa Pa. Flower H'momg Market.

Headed out early to get to the market for the Flower H'mong tribe which only happens once each week on Thursday. It was a looooonnnnnngggg drive along the snaky, bumpy road...about 2-1/2 hours to get there. And it was foggy again, which made the drive less interesting. However, I could see many rice fields, as well as other crops....corn, pineapple, tea, etc... all planted precariously on the hillsides. As well as many interesting sights of the people in the fields, carrying pineapple in baskets on their backs, etc. When we did see these sights, I couldn't get photos as there was no room to pull off the side of the road....it seemed only wide enough for about 1-1/2 cars :-). Although we did manage to squeeze by a truck or two. Phew!!

When we arrived, it was a colorful sight to see!


The flower h'mong are called that because of their multiple-colored outfits...








...compared to yesterday's tribe, the black h'mong, who wear more predominantly black...some of their tribe was also represented at the market...


The people were friendly, but shy, and so didn't want their photos taken. So had to just snap away and hope for the best without the opportunity to set up any shots. So, have tried to share what I think were some of the best shots I was able to get. Hope you enjoy them!


























After enjoying the market, we headed back for the loooonnnngggg drive back to the hotel. We stopped halfway back in Lao Cai for lunch and I had one of my favorites, chicken hotpot, which I shared with my guide, Nam. They give you a pot of boiling broth and you dip chicken, veggies (mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, etc., etc.) and noodles into the pot to cook and then eat. Very fresh and good and healthy.

Tomorrow, we go to one last tribal area before heading back to Hanoi (on the night train again) for a half day of spa treatments before heading on to Myanmar (aka Burma).

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Near Lao Cai, Vietnam

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I remember when that country was torn apart with war. Pictures are great. Really enjoying your adventures. Safe travels. MK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are fabulous. So colorful & full of character & your wonderful descriptions- makes me feel like Im there w/you. You'll have to pulblish a travel book when you get home. P.S. Hope you nephew & family are ok.

    ReplyDelete