Welcome!

Welcome to my Travel Blog where you can follow me Round The World!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 32. Leave Saigon for Sapa, via Hanoi

I had a nice rest by the pool yesterday, and finished reading "Stealing Buddha's Dinner". I enjoyed it very much. Kind of along the lines of Amy Tan's books. So now I will read "Moscow Rules" by Daniel Silva...one of those espionage, KGB kind of books. I also downloaded Tolstoy's "War and Peace" as I don't think I ever read it. But we'll see if I get to it, and if I can get through it. On the plane yesterday I watched "The Last Station" which is a movie about him. I enjoyed what I saw of the movie (I kept dozing off, as I had one of those business class seats that converts to a full bed--way cool...first time I'd had one of those). Back to Tolstoy, there are at least a couple of museums in Moscow about him and Chekhov, who was also featured in that movie (played by one of my favorites, Paul Giamatti--he was in that movie about wine....I forgot the name of it).

After finishing my book, Sue's housekeeper (hmm, I'm not sure that's the right term for her....more like an aunt/family...she has been working for Sue for 16 years!)..... Anyway, she took me up the street to an authentic Vietnamese restaurant in the neighborhood. We ate and ate, and the total bill, for both of us, was $10. (Bonnie, didn't we pay $4.00 one time for lunch for both of us?). I came home from my last trip here just loving the Vietnamese food....even threw a dinner party where I served loads of it (for those of you who might remember that :-).

I am off later this afternoon on a flight to Hanoi, where I will catch the overnight train to Sapa, where the Vietnamese hill tribes live. I am really looking forward to this four day excursion into that region!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Saigon, Vietnam

1 comment:

  1. welcome back! we missed your commentary. can't wait to hear about the hill tribes.

    ReplyDelete