Welcome!

Welcome to my Travel Blog where you can follow me Round The World!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 65 (Sunday). Mothers Day in Budapest.

After two long, exhausting days, I opted for some time to rest on Sunday (in honor of Mother's Day). Happy Mother's Day all you moms out there....including my own mom, of course!!

After some rest, I did take a walk up Andrassy Street, which is known as Budapest's Champs de Élysées...a wide boulevard...









...with shopping....








...with many cool, old buildings...









...although this one was eerie...it is a museum about the war, and is apparently gruesome, which is why I skipped it...

















More in line with my tastes was the Hungarian opera house, where I will be seeing Otello this evening...








...with its statues of the local composers, Liszt....








...and Erkel...









...and the side door for your horse and carriage...








There were statues everywhere along the boulevard...

















...and at the end, part of the reason it is compared to that famous street in Paris...








...including museums on each side of the square...

















I also walked up and down some of the side streets here which is considered the Jewish district, and a great place for free, live music every night of the week!








I was now running late for Otello, so needed to catch the metro back....it is the oldest metro system in Europe, and there was a metro stop immediately in front of my hotel.








After getting cleaned up....I really do wear clothes other than my jeans....








...I hopped back on the metro to the opera house. I was pleasantly surprised by both the opera house and the performance. The building was maybe the most ornate opera house I had yet seen. It had a lobby that was even more ornate than the theater. Cynthia, I don't remember the one in St. Petersburg having such an ornate lobby? I had a seat in the 11th row, and I ran into the couple from Portugal from my cooking class. The acting, singing, costumes, sets, etc., were all excellent. So another fun evening out in Budapest.

I also grabbed dinner afterwards at Callas (as in Maria) next door to the opera house. They had some live hungarian music, but I didn't like the food that much. Especially since I now know how good Hungarian food is supposed to taste.

Tomorrow is my last day in Budapest, and there is so much more I want to do here!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:Erzsébet tér,Budapest,Hungary

No comments:

Post a Comment