Welcome!

Welcome to my Travel Blog where you can follow me Round The World!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 73. Prague.

I arrived in Prague at about 5:30pm yesterday. I first went to see if I could catch a taxi to my hotel. But it was just as Cynthia and I had experienced in Russia....you have to negotiate your fare, and they unfortunately try to take advantage of American tourists. First, they wanted the equivalent of $50. When I immediately converted it into USD and told them that was ridiculous, they dropped the fare to $35. I told them that was still too high and offered them the equivalent of $15. When they wouldn't budge, I turned around and went to the metro. In anticipation of this, I had studied the metro map the night before, just in case. The only problem was the metro card machine only took Czech coins, and all I had were Czech bills and euro coins. But I was able to talk a woman into giving me the necessary Czech coins for a two euro coin. So I paid her double, but it was still a lot cheaper than the taxi! so I hopped on, made my transfer and arrived at my hotel about 10 minutes later....piece of cake :-). BTW, when I asked at the hotel how much I should have paid to get from the train station by taxi, they said about $15, max!! I really don't know how you avoid their scam if you really need a taxi?

After getting settled in, I went to an excellent restaurant I had read about on line, V.Zatizi, which was right around the corner from my hotel.

Then I took a short walk up to the bridge, as I heard they were doing some fireworks in honor of my arrival :-)...


What very little I saw of the city was spectacular...cobblestone streets, cool bridges, the National Theater...


and the Prague castle on the opposite bank of the river...


Time to go figure out how the trams work here...


...and find a walking tour of the city!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Konviktská,Prague 5,Czech Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment